Lifestyle, health, wellness and, men's fashion and beauty.

Monday 10 April 2017

Springtime clearout: No more hoarding

It's that time of year when we look to do some spring cleaning and throw out the things we've hung onto for far too long. For those of us that hoard, it's not the easiest task to do. Heck it's a sensitive subject. In this post, I look at why we need to stop hoarding and what I'm throwing out as part of my spring clear out in association with Satsuma Loans.


If like me you hang onto items then you know the struggle of giving them up. It becomes so easy to keep things that have built up over the years even though they might not be used or utilised in any way. Even with this being the case, sometimes giving them up doesn't seem like an option. These items might have significant meaning or they may have value, maybe even have a memory or they may not mean anything at all. This makes things difficult, but if you're holding onto items and not taking advantage of them, even looking at them, then what is the point? I'm no doctor, but if this sounds like you then you might be suffering with a hoarding disease. I self diagnosed myself with this condition earlier this week and I want to do something about it. I want to stop hoarding, what about you?

But how do you do it? Well ask yourself these simple questions:
  • Have I used this item in the last 6 months?
  • Is this item in a good condition?
  • Do I plan to use this item in the next week?
  • Do I like this item enough to let it take up space?

If you answer no to any of these questions, chances are you don't need that item. And chances are you don't really want it. In that case, find the willpower in you, grab a bin bag and put it in there to throwout or give to charity. You'll find it liberating and heck who doesn't want to feel liberated? I'm not saying it's easy because hoarding is part of who some of us are, but it has to be done *insert sad emoji*.

Let's be realistic now. That piece of clothing you might wear you probably won't so don't let that 'maybe' rule your life. That book or old school textbook you've convinced yourself to read - well you haven't read it since school so what makes you think you will now? Those birthday cards you've saved over the years are nothing more than pieces of card taking up space and you're never going to read them again. And that souvenir...well you see where I'm going with this. They're unnecessary items.

To prove that I'm not all 'talk', let me share with you what I'm giving up:
  • A large mason jar that I said I'd make cocktails in that has stayed on my kitchen counter gathering dust for the past year
  • Old school textbooks from over 7 years ago that I promised myself that I would read them but have been nothing more than decorations next to my bed
  • A quirky trolley and dustbin stationary holder that have held nothing more than dust
  • An electric plasma ball and fibre optic lamp that I said I'd put on every single night but instead both have stayed in their box for far too long
  • Vases; cuddly toys; postcards; souvenirs and more

See, if I can do it so can you! Believe in yourself and be a better you. I know, I know how inspirational of me. I feel like the Martin Luther King of hoarding #ChangeWillCome. But really, hoarding is a dangerous path that takes you into a land of junk. Sounds crowded, right? Correct. Imagine how much stuff you'll have if you don't quit these bad habits now. Not pretty. But imagine how refreshed and cleansed you'll feel by letting go of all these things. I know I'm going to feel better when I take my things to charity.




 Here's to spring clear-out of 2017! Let me know how you get on.

What items have you hoarded that you're going to get rid of this spring?

Liam

Share:

1 comment

  1. Junk removal service providers usually have toll free customer care helplines, and you can find the information you need by dialing these numbers. junk removal queens

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig